Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Help! Where should I go for my Twitterlytics?


Hey folks, I'm Jacob Rosen. Nice to meet you all in this new space.

*insert "Whole New World" gif*

Zachary Bennett, my co-conspirator for this project, introduced you to the concept of Basketball Twitterlytics yesterday. We have no idea what this project will end up being in the coming days (or weeks, or months, etc.). But it should be fun in the meanwhile.

At this here site, I guess you could call me the inspiration, the mad scientist, the inventor or just the Cleveland sports blogger who happens to be obsessed with Twitter analytics (Twitterlytics, for short). And today, I hope to share a few resources that we'll be using here and that I'd encourage you to use, too.

*******************************************

Twitonomy (link)

This is where you saw the data from Zachary Bennett yesterday on Tweets / Day. Twitonomy is a really neat resource, particularly because you can look up other people's data. This is a rare feature, as you'll start to understand. This is where we're getting the data for the spreadsheet so far.

Mainly, Twitonomy pulls a user's last 3,000ish tweets and spits out a ton of information. You can look by days of the week. By hours of the day. By who you mentioned. By the types of tweets. By hashtags used. By most popular tweets. By how often they're retweeted or favorited. All of the data is glorious.

Among the other free features on this website are hashtag analytics, reports about your followers, maps of your followers, details of your mentions and much more. This is a really good starting point for Twitterlytics 101.

Analytics.Twitter (link)

On a more granular level, there is then the new Twitter analytics platform. For users who can access this page -- there have been back-and-forth access issues and I'm not sure how it's being rolled out -- you can see very detailed data on each individual tweet of yours. You can number of RTs, favorites, replies and link clicks generated daily. And you can get a nifty chart of "impressions" per day of your feed.

JustUnfollow (link)

Ever wanted to know who unfollows you? Of course, Twitter doesn't have that option available. But if you log into JustUnfollow, it will begin tracking for you. Give it some time. But if you check back in a few days or a week, you'll be able to see each and every person that gets sick of your Twitter feed. Don't freak out, though; I swear that I get about 20-30 unfollows per week. It's perfectly normal.

Followerwonk (link)

Today's last resource is a neat way to find more users to follow. Log into the Compare section of Followerwonk, and you can look at who other users follow or who follows them. For free, you can compare three accounts at a time. So I've actually used it myself to triple-check all of the members of the NBA Twitter universe for this massive project.

*******************************************

So those are the four social media analytics websites I have bookmarked myself. I check them all on a regular basis, especially Analytics.Twitter for details on individual tweets and JustUnfollow for updated reports on who unfollows me. You should be checking your own stats now too. And in the meanwhile, we'll keep working on our next report.

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned this before, I've written about some assorted social media topics before. Here are various links:

My Internet Pet Peeves -- Socially Gold, February 14, 2013
Six Tips to Making Your Facebook Page As Efficient As Ever -- Socially Gold, April 13, 2014
Nine Trending Topics in Sports and Social Media -- Warsaw Sports Marketing Center Blog, December 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment